Monday, 11 November 2013

Remembrance Day

This morning we learnt about Armistice.  We looked at Flanders on the map, discussed the poppy fields: so destroyed in battle that only poppies could grow, and the idea of Remembrance for all the wars and conflicts since the Great War.

We held a two minute silence at 11am for all our fallen soldiers.

The two smallest painted poppies on stones which we are going to varnish and take to Great-Nanny and Great-Grandad's grave this coming weekend.  They are our war heroes and we love them.


We read three war poems and the children wrote their own Remember acrostic poem.

Here is Ballet Girl's acrostic poem:

                                                         Righteousness is betrayed,
                                                        End of War, people laid.
                                                       Mud, guts, blood and sweat,
                                                      Every body lay that let
                                                     Mighty leaders sign a paper,
                                                    But more of it was like a caper,
                                                   Endless wars are still occurring,
                                                "Righteousness" the dead are murmuring.

And this book got us talking and thinking.

Then I managed to to something horrendous to my elbow.  I'm still not quite sure whether or not it is broken but in a very unheroic way I did a great deal of yelling and pacing in trembly pain for a couple of hours, then spent a while recovering and drinking herbal tea with my lovely friend.  Papa took charge with the kiddies' Spanish and Nature Study and took them to their trampolining lessons, made dinner, washed up and basically did all things brilliant.

Bestest Uncle Anthony came over for a visit and played screamy, shouty, cushion fighting crazy games with the children while I moped about.

I am still moping.

(Update 3 days later:  A lovely bruise and a very tender elbow but my arm is in full working order.  Hooray for that.  I have also quit moping.)